GETRAG 6DCT450 MPS6 6 Speed Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid Change
To help lower emissions and reduce fuel economy dual clutch transmission are becoming more popular in today’s vehicles. GETRAG have designed there own line of dual clutch transmission which many different vehicle manufactures use. Chrysler, Ford, Renault & Volvo use the 6DCT line of transmissions in various models and engine types. The question is when and how do you change the dual clutch transmission fluid.
GETRAG 6DCT Drain Plug Location
Normally manufactures state when to change the fluids, Chrysler’s & Ford’s are normally every 48 months others could be fill for life. Rule of the thumb is to check the level and sight the quality of the fluid and make a decision. This is where the 6DCT transmission becomes interesting, as they have a multi-chamber fluid system. This means there are 3 different chambers that have 3 different levels so checking the level it not as easy as removing a check plug.
Draining The Fluid…
With a multi-chamber fluid system there are 3 different chambers which means 3 different drain plugs. Each chamber needs to be drained, it’s also a good idea to remove the fill plug and the check level plug to allow cross ventilation to allow the fluid to drain faster.
GETRAG 6DCT External Filter Location
External Filter Change…
The transmission has an external filter which can be changed during fluid change. There is also an internal filter however the transmission need to be removed from the vehicle and the transmission to be dismantled.
With the 3 drain plugs fitted the transmission can now be filled with the recommend fluid via the filler plug on top of the transmission. The check plug near the drive shaft should still be removed to allow the fluid to travel through the three chambers. The transmission could take up to 8 litres of fluid including enough to allow for the fluid check procedure.
Fluid Level Check Procedure…
This is where things get interesting and normally when the fluid starts to run out of the check plug the transmission is full. Well due to the multi chamber layout there could be air lock in the system and the fluid will need to be filled and then check measured.
GETRAG 6DCT Filler Plug Location
First Stage of Fluid Level
- First fill the with 5 litres of fluid and check fluid level check plug.
- If no fluid is seen at the check plug continue to fill in 500ml increments.
- When fluid is seen running from the check plug start the engine and allow to idle.
- If fluid stops running continue to fill in 500ml increments.
- When fluid is running from the check plug you can select Drive & Reverse with foot on brake pedal and allow fluid to stop running
Second Stage of Fluid Level
- Now to be sure the fluid level is correct and no air locks pour 250ml of fluid into the filler plug.
- Then catch what ever fluid runs out of the check plug , if correct level you should catch 250ml.
- if you catch less you need to continue to fill with 250ml increment and catch the fluid untill you catch 250ml only then it is full.
- Refit check level and filler plugs and road test vehicle.
Check Level Notes
GETRAG 6DCT Check Level Plug Location
- We have carried out this procedure a few time although its sounds like it will take forever its not that bad once you get the hang of it.
- The best thing it to have more fluid than needed we always make sure we have minimum 8 liters on hand.
- The correct temp is from 30°c – 45°c the fluid does not get that hot to really worry about it.
- We have never re checked fluid after a road test as it can give a false reading requiring the check procedure to be done again.
- Fuchs TITAN DCTF Fluid
- Penrite DCT Fluid
- Motul Multi DCTF Fluid
- (Please check fluids notes as they may not be recommended during manufacturers warranty fluid)